People often ask, “Where do I find good information?” My thanks to long-time activist for peace with justice, Kathy Bergen, for the following which she sent on email this morning. Kathy has lived 16 of the last 33 years in this land. I hope that you find these resources useful in providing “context” and thus a bigger picture.
From Kathy … I am forwarding the list of articles and statements – from Palestinians, Israelis, and internationals – which I just received from Jewish Voice for Peace. All are interesting, informative, and helpful in giving us a picture and analysis of what is going on in Israel/Palestine. I am adding one article here that I think is worth reading.
- Marwan Barghouti in the Guardian
From Jewish Voice for Peace … The situation right now in Palestine and Israel is really dire. There is much more to be said about it but for now we wanted to offer some resources for you to keep up to date about what is happening. See below for a round-up of commentary and statements about the events of the last couple of weeks.
Resources for understanding current events in Palestine:
- Boycott National Committee statement.
- Al Haq statement.
- IMEU Factsheet on Al Aqsa/Temple Mount Misperceptions.
- JVP’s statement (from Sunday October 4, 2015).
- Mouin Rabbani on Palestinians being the most isolated they’ve been since 1948 in the Guardian.
- Haaretz columnist Amira Hass writes: “Palestinians Are Fighting for Their Lives; Israel Is Fighting for the Occupation.”
- Stories of terrorizing Palestinians that don’t make the news, by Samah Salaime in 972 Magazine, which has lots of other pieces of helpful reporting and analysis.
- Seven killed in Gaza, with video, in Mondoweiss.
- JVP media coordinator Naomi Dann on the occupation and repression at the root of the current violence in the foreign policy blog Lobelog.
- Ben Caspit in Al Monitor arguing that the real intifada is taking place among the Israeli right, as they agitate for more settlement construction and a new operation defensive shield.
- FMEP interview with Daniel Siedemann about the context of repression in Jerusalem over the last year.
- US Campaign’s Yousef Munayyer writing for CNN on what Palestinians really wanted Abbas to say in his speech last week.
- Adam Horowitz in Mondoweiss on the scale of settler attacks.
- Noam Sheizaf says Israel holds all the cards.
- Saeb Erekat in Newsweek about decades of impunity.